Thursday, December 24, 2009

Slow News Day...

I guess the Christmas rush has my goodies stuck in the border or in Transit.  Oh well.  I did get my exhaust system in yesterday, but as I am putting in new exhaust gaskets (the old ones are 30,000 km old!), I have to wait until those show up.  Not exactly thrilled with the local Honda dealer... parts counter kid said they would be in this week, while older dude/manager sat at his table and overheard the conversation.  I swung by the shop yesterday (as per the kid's instructions), and same older dude/manager looked at me like I was crazy -- the order didn't go in until Monday this week -- the 21st.  So, with Christmas delays and the weekend, well, nothing is going to get done on the exhaust front this week!


As everyone has said, the weight savings with this system is pretty considerable, and may be noticeable on the bike.  Whatever.  It is a definate improvement over stock cosmetically as well, and upon closer inspection of the OEM headers, I'm not sure how much longer they would last -- mucho corrosion!  The other thing I noticed is that on early Jardine 2-1 systems, one mount would crack, just under the right rearset peg.  From what I could see, the exhaust mount is properly "stiched" and "saddled" to the header pipe.  These terms are from some race preparation/bike fabrication books I have read in the past.  Maybe I'll post some pictures later on with more detail.  Regarless, the fabrication quality looks quite nice -- stainless headers, with tig-welded beads throughout.  All the hardware is in place, and no pieces are missing. 







I also fiddled with the undertail a bit more.  When the weather warmed up (-4 or so), I was able to test-fit the piece to the bike (after some material was trimmed away).  I also mounted aluminum riv-nuts to replace the plastic rivets that would no doubt fall out over time -- you can see the allen head bolts holding it in place.  Looks pretty sleek.  No tailights mounted yet -- not sure if I am going to bother painting the undertail, as the incoming bodywork is already white.  This is more of an ivory color, however, and perhaps to get things to look proper I'll get it done the same time as the fuel tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment