Saturday, January 2, 2010

Your results may Vary....


Well, as the Brits would say, I'm gutted.  The Auctmarts bodywork showed up from China -- relatively quick shipping, no additional duty or fees when I picked it up from Canada Post.










Other buyers had warned the world that fitment could be a potential problem.  Since I had gotten Ducati bodywork to fit on an EX500, I wasn't too worried.  However, the nature of putting this stuff on a streetbike, and trying to make it look decent is a different story...







You can't see it here, but the headlights do not sit square in the fairing -- and because things did not line up properly, there is tremendous stress put on the mounting tabs in order to get things to line up right... and eventually, a few cracked off.  And the windscreen doesn't fit...








So, what I have here is a nicely-painted set of trackday bodywork.  It does look nice in the pictures, but a few hundred highway miles would have things vibrating and cracking and falling apart -- especially the headlights.  Damn!  So, we're back to repairing and painting the OEM bodywork.








I guess we will be starting with a clean slate here... I liked the matt/satin black of the 999 -- with a few discreet decals, it would look pretty mean (black wheels, black frame, black swingarm...).  Another option is the gulf color scheme I've seen.  The bike would be predominantly the gulf pale blue, with the orange in the number plates in the front and tail, front fender, undertail, and perhaps the hugger.

No comments:

Post a Comment